What is rockabilly?
Rockabilly is a genre of rock’n’roll, hillbilly and country music. This music genre emerged in the 1950’s and big contributors to the recognition of this style were Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Sam Phillips, etc. Some of the elements that characterize this particular style of music are: strong rhythm and beat, extreme vocal styles, energetic guitar solo, recognizable country and rhythm and blues influences.
To achieve that rockabilly hairstyle you will need the exact haircut of the 1940’s. Your stylist will need to get your hair layered properly.
The rockabilly hair needs to be curled naturally or pin curled. The hair must have volume to create this particular hairstyle. Rockabilly hairstyle is not a low maintenance hairstyle because you will have to style it every day, but the effect of styled rockabilly hair is unique.
– Shampoo and apply conditioner
– Apply a setting lotion from the scalp till the ends
– Blow dry the hair or leave it to air dry. For added volume to the root lift your hair and blow dry near the roots
– Make a C-wave pin curl in the front and add plenty of setting lotion to make it firm
– Roll small sections of your hair into pin curls following the wave and clip them tightly at the scalp. If you are a girl, you can curl the sides and back as well
– After your pin curls have dried completely and it may take a few hours for them to dry, brush them using a soft bristle brush until you get a smooth and soft wave
– Keeping your rockabilly wave free, pull the rest of the hair on one side and secure it with a rubber band. If you have short hair, you skip this part
– After you’ve secured your hair, create as many rockabilly rolls you wish. You can do that by rolling your hair around your fingers or around a heated curling iron and securing them with pins
– Style the wave in the front and add accessories if you wish
– Spray an aerosol spray on your entire hair to hold it in style. Make sure you don’t spray too much so that it looks stiff.