1. Taking a short course at vocational school
Many vocational schools offer specialized short-term courses and certificates for nail technicians. The courses usually last up to 6-8 weeks and, depending on the school you attend, you will have to take written exams during each stage or a final exam.
2. Taking a longer, more comprehensive course
You can also choose a full package-beauty training course, which offers training in all the fields of beauty work (beautician, manicuring, pedicures, waxing, etc). These courses last longer, usually up to a full year. At some schools, students may be required to do an internship for a nail salon in order to get hands-on work experience.
3. Apprenticeship at a nail salon
If the school does not include an internship stage, you could try to become an apprentice at an existing nail salon, which would give you valuable hands-on experience and the practical training needed to become a licensed nail technician.
How to Choose the Best Nail Technician Course
It is essential to do a bit of research and browse through a number of nail technician courses and programs before zooming on one. Here are the main things you should consider when choosing a nail technician training course or school.
1. The most important factor to consider will be the particular licensing requirements applicable in your state. If you intend to pursue a career as a nail technician, make sure you choose an accredited school, which provides an appropriate training program. Many states require a certain amount of training hours to be completed, which is where an apprenticeship or internship stage will come in handy.
2. If possible, try to get in touch with people who attended that school or course to get some first-hand opinions about the standard of training and support.
3. Find out what the fees are and whether there are any payment plans or government funding programs you could apply for.